Friday 12 March 2010

The American View

Whilst researching my new book, I decided to take a little trip to the USA last year to try and get the American perspective of the 'Special Relationship', in other words to tit about in the sun for three months whilst slowly going bankrupt.

For some reason the English are often portrayed as villains in their films, whilst the Scots are frequently viewed as heroes, but how much do the Americans really know about us? Why are they so fixated with our teeth? Do they really go weak at the knees when they hear our accents, even Brummie ones? What do they think about the likes of Gordon Brown, Posh Spice, Simon Cowell and Keith Harris & Orville and perhaps most importantly, do they prefer us to the French (a resounding 'yes' by all accounts).

During my time over there I met and interviewed some fascinating people including:
Jerry Spinger
Talk Show Host
Ron Jeremy
(Adult) Film Star
Morgan Spurlock
Actor/Producer/Director
Bret Easton Ellis
Author
Homer Simpson
Cartoon


as well as numerous members of the American public, all of whom provided me with invaluable research material for my book.


This short video gives a brief insight into some of things that I learned: