Wednesday 8 September 2010

Reply - Delia Smith

Whenever I see an unripe banana I am reminded of Norwich.

Not because I once had a horrific dietary experience on a narrow boat as I floated past the glittering jewel of East Anglia but because its football team play in a citron and emerald strip.
Or yellow and green to the less pretentious.

As I’m sure that you already know, famous food-preparer and mouth-piece of Waitrose, Delia Smith currently acts as the Chair(wo)man of Norwich City FC, obviously a natural profession for a chef to go into.
As a result, since her mind is currently beffudled with the problems of ensuring that an under-achieving team find their way back into the top echelons of English football, I was delighted to receive a reply from her charge d’affaires courtesy of a letter that I had sent to the Norwich City Football Club.

I was convinced that the football ground was situated at Carrow Road until someone kindly informed me that the correct address is actually Letsbe Avenue.

A lady called Jane writes:

Dear Julian

Thank you for your recent letter to Delia, which I acknowledge.

Delia has recently returned from her summer break and now continues with her commitments to Waitrose, among many other things. Sadly this does mean that we are currently unable to turn to her personal correspondence until her diary allows.

With kind regards


I’m not entirely clear whether that means that her diary may allow us to meet at some stage in the future or not but I don’t want to labour the point so it is probably a case of don’t call them, they’ll call me.

Possibly