Tuesday 31 August 2010

Reply - Polly Toynbee

I have to be honest with you, until yesterday, I wasn’t hugely familiar with Polly Toynbee.

That having been said, she was ranked at 489th out of more than 3,100 'Iconic British Individuals' who were voted for, (largely) by people I don’t know, on my Facebook group, so obviously plenty of people out there do know how Polly ‘rolls’, to use a slightly irritating Americanism.

Before writing to her all I knew was that she’s a journalist, perhaps slightly left of centre and that she once put the kettle on, but that’s as far as my knowledge went.

I have since done my homework and have suckled up to the bosom of mother Wikipedia learning, amongst other things, that her real name is Mary, in 2007 she scooped up the ‘Columnist of the Year’ gong at the British Press Awards and that she once worked in a burger bar.

I have no idea whether any of those facts actually have their tendrils firmly rooted in the soil of truth, but I don’t really care, all I know is that Polly is an incredibly generous lady.

Not only has she replied to my recent letter but she also stuffed a £25 quid cheque into the envelope made out to the charity that I am working with on this project, Help for Heroes. What an absolute star!

The fact that she also informed me that she wouldn’t be able to meet me to sign the flags due to her ‘hectic’ life right now, didn’t ruffle my feathers one jot.

I mean how could I be upset with one so benevolent, however outré their political views.

Ms Toynbee, I salute you.

(and hope you got my follow up email)