Saturday 26 June 2010

Reply - Alex Salmond

....and on the subject of unhealthy diets, I had a letter from a Scotsman today (see below). Neil Hastie, -hastie by both name and nature apparently, since my letter to Alex Salmond was sent out but a mere few days ago- has already replied to inform me that his boss, my target, the First Minister of Scotland will be unable to sign the flag.

According to Mr Hastie:

"...The First Minister receives a great many requests and which puts considerable pressure on his diary. Unfortunately on this occasion, the First Minister will be unable to sign the flag."

I don't wish to sound overly pedantic here but I believe the word 'and' was somewhat redundant in the first sentence.

Anyway very good of him to get back to me, even if it was another 'no'. This 500 Celebrity flag-signing project is proving quite tricky already. Ok so DJ Mike Mendoza and author Jeffrey Archer will be signing the flag in the coming weeks, but Clare Balding, Mike Leigh, David Attenborough, Paul Smith, and Alex Salmond won't be. That's a 28.571% success rate I have so far from those who have answered, which if replicated across the board, should still see me get the 100 messages to send to President Obama.

Well what was slightly disconcerting, however, was that the envelope in which this letter was sent to me included both my first and middle names. I have no idea how they found this information out, nor why the Scottish Government would want to display to me that they could garner such knowledge, possibly by rooting through my bin bags, but I felt momentarily violated.

It passed.

Particularly as they were kind enough to return my s.a.e. to me unused meaning that I save 45p from my next letter.

Right I'm off out to buy lunch for my sweetheart.........So Subway it is.