Sunday 20 June 2010

Reply - Paul Smith

Ok so I was wrong about the Algeria game and I suppose a flukey 1-0 victory was a little too much to ask for.

In the normal course of events I would now proceed to sharpen my pen and language and berate the likes of Wayne, Frank and Steve for being lame, figuratively not literally, yet I'm writing to all of them in the coming weeks asking them to scrawl on the flag for both President Barack and Help for Heroes, so...best not.

(Not, of course that they're likely to be reading this website, nor actually is anyone other than work colleague Sam and the ever loyal girlfriend 'Jacko').

Hey sugarlumps!

I digress.

Like Ashley Cole and Linford Christie, the replies are turning up, thick and fast at the moment from the first 30 letters that I sent out a fortnight ago.

Most recently out of the hat, I received a reply from fashion designer and Nottingham's favourite son (possibly after Bryan Clough, D.H.Lawrence, Kenneth Clarke or, erm, Jermaine Jenas) Paul 'Smudger' Smith.

Smithy, after learning of my project and giving it due consideration has decided to pass on this one.

I can't actually confirm that his nickname really is 'Smudger', nor why so many 'Smiths' seem to have that strange middle moniker bestowed upon them, but anyway an email from Nicole Abbott who works at the Smithy HQ in.....wherever it is, I can't actually remember where I wrote to, kindly bothered to get back to me by the medium of email. I quote:

"Dear Jules

Thank you very much for your letter to Paul Smith regarding signing the Union Jack Flags.

We have discussed this with him and although he would love to be able to help unfortunately it won’t be possible on this occasion due to his many other commitments – sorry.

Thank you very much for thinking of him and all the best for the project.

Kind regards

Nicole Abbott"

What a thoughtful and well crafted response. Nicole is a consumate professional. I bet unlike me, she doesn't lie on the couch most nights scratching her armpits and belching whilst listening to Alan Hanson deconstruct the Slovenian back four.

Another update soon.

Possibly.