Saturday 17 July 2010

Jack Of All Trades

(Left: My flags on an unmade bed - The unmade bed is irrelevant, although it may be a sign of my general laziness)

After a lot of umming and erring, not to mention a bit of eh?-ing, I have finally got round to acquiring a couple of flags, quite an integral part of my project really.

This is because, as you may be aware by now, the project involves sending 1 Union Jack to Barack Obama containing 100 goodwill messages written by 100 different UK 'Celebs', whilst another one signed by the same individuals will be sent to the Help for Heroes Charity and will hopefully swell their coffers by untold amounts.

Right: Amir Khan with a flag (not my flag)

I therefore did a little bit of dabbling on Ebay recently, not that I ever understand what to do on that lord forsaken website - I almost ended up with a Union Jack scatter cushion - but lo, it came to pass that after correctly bidding and winning the two items pictured above, 'stella-comm (97499 * )' sent me said items in the post the other day, meaning that Jeffrey Archer will now have something to actually sign on 27th July when I turn up at his apartment...so that's fortunate.

More to the point, last night I actually received my first email as a direct result of this website, by someone who had cleverly spotted the 'contact me' tab in the right hand column.

Dan, who if memory serves hails from Oxford, informed me that the flag that actually adorns this website left, right and centre, ie the flag that I have just bought and will be trapesing around the country with for as long as it takes, is not actually a 'Union Jack' but is in fact called the 'Union Flag'. He then started banging on about ships or something.

(Left: Geri Halliwell wearing a flag - again not mine, more's the pity)

Well as far as I'm concerned, this flag is the Union Jack, primarily because I'll be damnned if I'm going to spend another £5.98 on an online auction.